Skin Diving Instructor (SDI)
Want to begin working as a professional in the field, organizing your own courses, issuing certifications and conducting open water skin dives? NAUI Skin Diving Instructor training will enable you to join NAUI as a leadership member and independently conduct skin diving training. Because of the growing popularity of snorkeling and skin diving, this may gain you substantial financial rewards. You can also team-teach with a NAUI Instructor, offering the skin diving portion of the Scuba Diver Course.
This is a leadership level certification course designed to train and qualify persons and issue certifications in skin (breath-hold) diving.
The course will make available to individuals, schools, camps, or similar groups NAUI Leaders who can effectively teach people to enjoy skin diving with minimal risk.
Qualifications of Graduates
An active-status NAUI Skin Diving Instructor may independently teach the NAUI Skin Diving course and designated specialty courses as skin diving courses and authorize NAUI to issue certifications for these.
An active-status NAUI Skin Diving Instructor may, while being overseen by an active-status NAUI Instructor, perform as an assistant during NAUI scuba diving courses. If certified as a scuba diver, this may include scuba training activities.
An active-status Skin Diving Instructor may independently perform the swimming skills evaluation and teach the skin diving portions of the NAUI Scuba Diver course.
An active-status NAUI Skin Diving Instructor who completes a NAUI-DAN First Aid Instructor orientation, who has completed all required NAUI-DAN orientation modules and is using the NAUI-DAN training and support materials, may teach the NAUI-DAN First Aid programs.
Prerequisites for Entering the Course
- Minimum age is 18 years by the water phase of the course.
- Certification as a NAUI Skin or Scuba Diver or the equivalent is required.
- Certification as a NAUI Rescue Scuba Diver or the equivalent, or lifeguarding certification is required.
- Current certification in NAUI First Aid for Dive Professionals or equivalent.
- Current certification in NAUI Oxygen Provider or equivalent.
- A minimum of 25 logged skin dives is required. Dives shall be varied in environment, depth and activities.
- Materials – Contact the NAUI Training Department for current requirements.