NAUI Divemaster, NAUI Instructor for Catalina Sea Camp
Positions: NAUI Divemaster, NAUI Instructor
Location: Catalina Sea Camp at CIMI-Toyon Bay, Catalina Island, CA
Work Year: Summer Season: May 27-August 12, 2023
Responsible to: Dive Director (email@example.com)
More Info: http://catalinaseacamp.org or http://cimioutdoored.org
Catalina Sea Camp’s mission is to make a positive difference in the lives of children through unique opportunities for discovery. The Dive Staff at Catalina Sea Camp are responsible for providing diving programs for children aged 12-17. They must be knowledgeable of all dive standards, as well as develop, organize, and teach (or assist with teaching) scuba diving and skin diving courses as assigned. Duties must be in accordance with Catalina Sea Camp and NAUI structure/standards. Dive Staff are responsible for all aspects (as assigned and within an individuals scope) of scuba diving and freediving for Catalina Sea Camp.
- Active status NAUI Divemaster or Dive Instructor OR meets prerequisites for a NAUI Divemaster or Instructor course
- NAUI ITC and DM course offered, exclusively for hired staff, in mid-late may for those who qualify
- Equipped with personal gear in accordance with NAUI leadership standards
- Previous experience working with youth and a desire to work with them.
- Strong communication and human relation skills.
- Must be able to work and live well in a remote setting.
- Ability to work closely with other staff members and work as a team.
- Self-directed learner, planner, and worker.
- Good character, integrity, flexibility, enthusiasm, and patience.
- Able to accept supervision and guidance.
- Current dive accident insurance (ex: DAN).
- Current First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer (on-site training provided).
- Lifeguard certification preferred (on-site training provided).
- Valid U.S. driver’s license preferred.
- $525-$550 per week
- Shared dorm housing
- Full meals at the Dining Hall when the kitchen is in operation.
- Workers Compensation Insurance and State Disability insurance.
- DAN Professional Liability Insurance (Individual plan for Divemasters and Instructors).
- Privileges to use certain CIMI equipment for personal use in accordance with established CIMIpolicies (ex. sailboats, sailboards, scuba cylinders, vehicles, climbing wall and kayaks).
- Access to some of the most exciting, beautiful diving and hiking in Southern California.
- The opportunity to develop teaching and leadership skills as well as interpersonal and management skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Develop, organize, and teach (or assist with teaching) scuba diving courses as assigned. Course offerings range from Try Dive/Discover Scuba through Master Diver, including some specialties. Snorkeling through beginner freediving courses are also offered. Other duties assigned may include hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, and some science labs.
- Keep all program areas neat, clean, and SAFE.
- Develop supplementary material for programs as needed.
- Adhere to safety rules, company policies, and procedures for the well-being of campers and staff.
- Facilitate operations on the dive deck, including filling cylinders, organizing program equipment, ensuring cleanliness, and assisting in incidents and emergencies.
- As assigned, act as Instructor/Divemaster, Dive Locker Coordinator, and Lifeguard, as well as Head Divemaster aboard our diving vessels.
- Keep comprehensive records of all dives with campers. Complete the paperwork required to issue certifications.
- Comply with NAUI and Catalina Sea Camp standards, policies, and procedures when teaching classes.
- Attend all meetings, leadership training, and instructional sessions.
- Assist with camper arrival/departure procedures as assigned on arrival and departure days.
- Provide and/or attend evening programs and activities when necessary or assigned.
- Generate ongoing enthusiasm and participation in summer camp activities.
- Work the necessary hours to get the job done, and assist other departments when available.
- Assist with between-session clean-ups.
- Follow and enforce all camp rules and policies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dive Director.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Must be able to effectively work with the campers, supervisors, and other staff.
- Ability and willingness to communicate any problems with staff or campers to the Dive Director.
- Good physical condition with the mobility, visual and auditory skills to maintain control of 8-15 campers in a variety of environments (in the water, during learning sessions, on hikes, etc.).
- Ability to properly respond to emergency situations and enforce appropriate safety rules.
- Knowledge and ability to teach dive classes as assigned in all open-water environments.