Assistant Dive Safety Officer - Tennessee Aquarium
At the Tennessee Aquarium, we strive to connect people with nature and empower them to make informed decisions about water and wildlife. We are passionate about our values, which include respect for conservation, a mindset of lifelong learning, and a collaborative, learning-based, respectful work environment.
The assistant dive safety officer is responsible for assisting the dive operations manager/DSO in oversight of all diving activities carried out under the auspices of the Aquarium. This responsibility includes the dive safety program, assisting with training, assisting with drills for diver rescue/evacuation, and supervising volunteer divers. This position is responsible for managing the entire dive program in the absence of the manager of dive operations and requires working weekends, as well as some evenings and holidays.
- Ability to build trust & confidence with the staff & volunteers, respecting the confidentiality of personal information.
- Assists with organization & management of the Volunteer Dive Program including recruitment, training, meetings, & scheduling supervision.
- Helps with oversight of staff diving activities, on-site & off-site, including maintaining dive logs, lending assistance & advanced training as needed.
- Aids with maintenance of SCUBA gear & backup areas including filling tanks, gear safety & maintenance, compressor upkeep, cleaning floors dive areas, & maintaining dive lockers; Orders supplies for dive areas.
- Assists with implementation of dive policy & protocol including maintaining records & schedules.
- Posts information on a volunteer website, social media, & other communication outlets
- Dives as needed to assist with animal husbandry, education, maintenance, & training; Assists in field collection duties as needed.
- Operates company vehicles to transport equipment, supplies, and personnel
- Performs work in a manner that fosters the Aquarium's mission & reflects its core values & service standards; When in public spaces, presents a professional appearance & finds opportunity to positively engage with Aquarium guests.
- Active-status SCUBA Instructor certification from a nationally recognized agency (NAUI, PADI, SDI, etc.)
- Active-status FA/CPR/O2 Instructor certification from a nationally recognized agency (AHA, ARC, DAN, etc.)
- Certified as SCUBA gear technician (for brands the Aquarium uses) or ability to obtain within one year from date of hire
- Bachelor's degree in science/biology preferred; comparable experience in a related field may be considered in lieu of degree
- American Academy of Underwater Sciences scientific diver/DSO qualifications preferred
- Ability to manage a diverse group of volunteers; excellent communication & interpersonal skills
- Proficient with the use of Microsoft Office programs & Cloud-based applications
- Online scheduling, online training, report writing, record keeping, email, & filing
- Ability to oversee dive emergency response & administer CPR & First Aid
- Valid driver's license
- Knowledge of aquatic biology preferred; Skills in boat handling preferred
Full-time, hourly; Thursday - Monday schedule including some holidays and evenings as needed.
The Tennessee Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive environment that values and supports diversity and equality among staff, volunteers and all of its audiences.