Salary: $15.13 - $17.00
Ambassador Commitment: Create meaningful connections and inspire actions that will have a lasting impact on conservation.
Responsibilities: Given objectives set by the Director of Facilities Maintenance, is responsible for assisting in operating, repairing, and maintaining Riverbanks LSS equipment, structures, and facilities. Will ensure a safe work environment, while understanding the operation and interpretation of technical LSS equipment. Follows USDA, DHEC, OSHA, AZA, etc. standards in all areas.
- Operates, monitors, and performs minor service to all equipment vital to the operation of animal exhibit water quality, life support systems, and exhibit water features
- Completes regular preventative maintenance, calibration, troubleshooting, and repair to analytical instrumentation, probes, and mechanical equipment.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment, while utilizing a wide array of carpentry, mechanical, plumbing and various types of machinery and equipment.
- Prepares and maintains saltwater batches for Sea Lion LSS.
- Routinely completes water quality diagnosing procedures and checkups using an array of analytical equipment
- Coordinates LSS activities and water quality parameters with the animal care staff to establish and maintain an environment conducive to the health and well-being of the animal collection. Communicates any water quality concerns to the Curator and Veterinary Staff.
- Maintains the Waterfall Junction Splash Pad to ensures all water quality parameters and the facilities are within DHEC standards. Understands basic pool filtration and equipment, including automated dosing systems and UV sterilization.
- Effectively interacts and communicates with supervisor/team, employees, volunteers, Riverbanks guests, and various external groups/individuals (e.g. sales representatives, contractors, etc.). Collaborates with the animal care and maintenance staff to ensure the integrated delivery of LSS operation/maintenance for the safety and welfare of the animal collection.
- Must be available for on-call/weekend duty and for emergencies. Works beyond a 40/hour work week, as required. Some travel required to attend meetings, professional development opportunities or conferences (e.g. AALSO and AZA).
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Marine Science, Biological Sciences or a related field required; OR any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Experience with commercial LSS equipment, water quality testing equipment, and/or pool filtration and equipment preferred. Experience working in an AZA accredited institution preferred.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working within a collaborative environment and be a team player. Must be organized, detail oriented, and have excellent written and verbal communication skills with a very high standard for service. Will be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and possess thorough knowledge of current computer applications to include MS Office Suite. Must be able to lift and carry up to 70 lbs. repeatedly. Must possess or be eligible for a valid SC driver’s license.
Apply online at: https://www.riverbanks.org/join-our-team/job-opportunities