NAUI Board of Directors Election
Return To Candidates Main Page
4 Bonanza Rd.
Chelmsford, MA 01824
Click To Email
While working as a independent and store instructor since 1976 in the New England area, I staffed NAUI ITC Cross-overs which strengthen NAUI’s membership for the Northeast Territory. I had the opportunity to move to the Pacific Northwest and while in this territory, I was able to leverage my NAUI experience to teach and certify new and experienced divers on how to safely enjoy all of what the Pacific Northwest territory had to offer. I have also staffed NAUI ITC’s and Cross-overs which supported the growth of NAUI professionals in the Northwest territory from 1978 to mid 1981.
In 1981 I became part of the NAUI professional teaching staff at East Coast Divers in Massachusetts and acquired my USCG 100 Gross Ton Master Captain license. In 1984, I started Down Under Diving Ventures, Inc. My successful business is now in its 30th year and continues to support the New England diving community.
In addition for over 30 years as a dive business owner, I’ve been a professional managing director in the high technology industry and have held field and headquarter positions in customer services support to strategic business planning. I directly influenced global product and service capabilities that enabled business growth while increasing customer satisfaction worldwide.
I hold certifications in Management of Sales and Services Operations, and Project Management from Boston College. My experience and credentials provides a foundation by which, business practices and policies are designed, produced and implemented to achieve overall objectives.
Dear NAUI Professional,
As a diving business owner and a NAUI Instructor and ITC staff professional, I am directly aware of what needs to be done to improve NAUI’s growth. I also have 29 years of global High Tech industry experience. This can all be leveraged in the areas of, business planning, customer services, business process design, program management, and global market business awareness.
As a NAUI professional and business owner with the above skills and experience, and a NAUI BOD member, I will work diligently to;
VISION: NAUI is a Global Instructor University
MISSION: Grow, Lead and Elevate NAUI to the Industry Leader in Safe Dive Training
- Create strategies, tools and capabilities that promote the NAUI Quality Difference.
- Insure that our NAUI Standards and Procedures can facilitate NAUI growth.
- Work with NAUI Pro facilities and affiliates to establish a NAUI Leadership Program via a University model.
- Promote the use of technology and social media to enable stronger community involvement and awareness of NAUI.
- Help grow the ranks of NAUI Course Directors and NAUI Instructors through a NAUI Mentoring Program.
- Provide tools to our NAUI Professional to create youth programs utilizing local civic centers.
- Leverage eLearning technology to expand course offerings and blend eLearning with video conferencing hosted by local NAUI Pro facilities.
As your “NAUI Advocate”, lets work together towards a successful NAUI future.
Cell Phone: 978-808-1286
Answers To The
BOD Election Questions
1. NAUI has long been a training agency that focuses on “Safety Through Education” and has set the standard for training instructors in the methods, processes and practices that should be used when training new, advanced specialty divers and other dive leadership positions. The difference between NAUI and the other agencies is that NAUI “Teaches” safe diving practices rather than just “administer” certifying agency standards. It is this major difference that sets NAUI apart from the other training agencies. Once you become a NAUI instructor and you are thoroughly trained in the methods and principles of teaching others, you will realize that using these methods will result in enthusiastic divers that will continue to enjoy this safe sport.
As a NAUI professional that teaches new, advanced, specialty divers and other dive leadership positions you will continue to gain respect for the quality of training you have given others. This respect becomes the cornerstone for your success as a professional and member of NAUI Worldwide.
2. NAUI needs to openly support NAUI retailers, resorts, dive charters businesses and select manufacturers that best align with NAUI principles for safe and enjoyable diving experiences. NAUI should also publish a periodic magazine that allows advertising from dive resorts, manufacturers and also includes listings of NAUI Pro Dive Centers by state. This would allow the diving community at large to see NAUI as an advocate for safe and continuing diver education.
With the use of today’s technology, NAUI can leverage mobile applications, electronic Adobe applications that can be viewed on laptops, tablets, smart phones, etc. Using this technology would eliminate costly physical printing. For a nominal fee, you could charge a subscription fee which would pay for the publication of this periodical.
NAUI should also develop a program that easily allows retailers, dive resorts, universities, community colleges and dive business operators to become a NAUI Pro Diving Affiliates. This program, while having high standards, would contain special pricing on materials, easily methods to use to transitioning from one agency to NAUI and promotional materials focused on “THE NAUI DIFFERENCE”.
3. Today, NAUI needs to get in front of the many changes that are occurring with our industry such as revising standards and methods for Mixed Air Dive Training, Re-breather usage and deep diver training. All of these courses need NAUI’s focus and the standards, methods and practices of teaching these courses need to be aligned to those high principles by which NAUI was founded. NAUI needs to leverage subject matter experts on advisory committees together with select manufacturers to thoroughly understand what changes are coming in equipment and their proper use for safe diving practices. Standards and methods need to be reviewed on an annual basis for all courses. NAUI needs to continue innovating rather than allow other agencies to be leader in new diving practices.
NAUI needs to work with all parties within the industry to “ENABLE” divers to dive safe and effectively using the equipment that is being sold and diving in many areas around the world via dive resorts that promote Free Diving, Cave Diving, Deep Diving, Use of Nitrox, Re-Breathers, etc. Dive training agencies ENABLE divers to dive and use the multitude of equipment presently available. Dive Stores enable their customers to get diver training so that they can purchase of rent the equipment. Let’s insure that NAUI becomes the ENABLER of choice and that our standards, methods, practices, materials and tools are all updated on a regular basis. This will promote NAUI ability to again become the industry leader in diver training.